Niseko Gourmet: Xmas Recipe
Since co-author of Harvest Niseko cookbook Chisato Amargai's children were born, her family has been celebrating Christmas with this special Teriyaki Chiken Leg dish. Here's Chisato's special recipe that her family has come to love.
TERIYAKI CHICKEN LEG (SERVES 2)
- 2 Chicken Maryland, 250-300g each
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Vegetable Oil, 1 tbsp
- Sake, 2 tbsp
- Mirin, 2 tbsp
- Soy Sauce, 2 tbsp
- White Sugar, 2 tbsp
- In a small bowl mix together the sake, mirin, soy sauce and white sugar. Set aside.
- Using a fork, puncture the surface of the chicken skin all over. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a fry pan and add the chicken, skin side down. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes or until brown.
- Turn the chicken and continue to cook over a low heat, covered with a lid, for a further 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the combined sauces to the pan and continue to cook over a low to medium heat, turning the chicken often to coat in the sauce.
- Serve once the sauce has caramelised and taken on a shiny appearance.
YOUR SHOPPING LIST AT LUCKY SUPERMARKET
Take this list with you to help you find everything you'd need for this recipe.
- Chicken - meat section
- Salt & Pepper - Aisle 1 & 3
- Vegetable Oil - Aisle 4
- Sake - Aisle 1
- Mirin - Aisle 1
- Soy Sauce - Aisle 1
- Sugar - Aisle 1